Life can be busy and demanding. If you are a parent, you have children to look after, after-school activities, and homework among other things. Even if you do not have children you have to balance work, maybe a partner, and friends or family. Careers are more demanding and you possibly work for long hours. All of these things can plague your mental health. It is important to ensure that you look after yourself while you try and balance life. Here are five simple, small things you can try and do daily, or a few times a week, to help with mental health.
- Try and go for a twenty-minute walk. This will give you time to be outside and breathe. Just these few minutes every day can clear your head. Additionally, being outside can help with things like sleep, concentration, and boost vitamin D. It is good for morale to get up and move outside to get away from your desk.
- Unplug for some time ever night. This one can be very difficult to do. Especially if your job requires it. However, staying off of social media for just thirty-minutes and read a book or pick up a hobby can give your brain the time it needs to separate. There is a need to keep up with all of our friends and family on social media. It can become overwhelming to make sure you “like” everything on your friend’s pages. You can come back to them later in the day, you do not have to be glued to your phone.
- Sleep is important for you physically and mentally. Not getting enough sleep can make you irritable. Again, this is another task that can be difficult to reach. It is one that is important. To try and get a good night’s sleep make a routine. Simple things like showering before bed or use the thirty minutes before bed to unplug.
- What you eat can make a difference in how you feel. While greasy, fried food tastes good in the short term, over the long term it can take a toll on your body. Eating sweets and junk food should not be completely cut out. However, you should try and keep it to a minimum.
- Be positive and give yourself a pat on the back. Do what you can with your friends and family when it works best for you. Think of one thing every day that you love or are grateful for.
Overall, do what is going to help you best. If you cannot do these things daily, start off trying them once a week. Remember that mental health is as important as physical health.
If you would like to learn more about mental health visit NIMH